Alot are saying WhirlWind sucks on Barbie, yet the same time alot are saying it’s the coolest. To my opinion there ain’t a “Best” build, but this particular build that i’m gonna show is definitely worth the fun, and it’s insanely high in DPS as well.. Credits go to Kripparrian too as one of his videos inspired our team to run this build!
The build is based entirely on 3 skills:
1) WhirlWind [Hurricane] – Well, we’re running a Whirlwind Barb, so nothing much here. Hurricane will allow you to run at your own movement speed.
2) Battle Rage [Into The Fray] – This is your main fury generator. Every crits you deal will gain you additional 15 fury. You will have to keep battle rage up at all times
3) Sprint [Run Like The Wind] – This is another insane damage kicker onto the build so you kill things VERY VERY quickly. Taking “Run Like The Wind” rune, you will dish out Tornadoes as you run and the further u can run you dish out more tornadoes. And this is SUPER important because if you’re dealing one target and say you dish out 5 tornadoes, they will all be dealing damage to to the same target, it’s almost equivalent to a 300% damage increase, or more..
4) Weapon Master + Ruthless: Both passives will give you an additional boost on your Critical hit chance and critical hit damage, which is quite a staple skill if you ask me.
5) Nerves of Steel / Tough as Nails: When you start running into crowds you will need all the armors you need. Choose either one passive that gives you more armor.
The only 4 stats that really matters in this build is: Critical Hit Chance, Critical Hit Damage, Life on Hit and Movement speed.
The higher crits you can deal, the faster you generate fury to sustain Whirlwind and Sprint at a longer period of time. I’ll say you should get AT LEAST 30% crit chance, and as much crit damage as you can. At a 50% crit chance you’ll almost never run out of Fury.
It’s also best if you stack Life on Hit rather than Lifesteal. Because WhirlWind & Sprint [Run like the Wind] combo is based on dealing ALOT of hits but these hits aren’t particularly high in damage as compared to a regular barb. When you’re dishing out 5 tornadoes at a time, each hitting enemies at half a second it’s really when LoH will outshine Lifesteal, everytime.
Your main damage source comes from Sprint [Run like the Wind], and how many tornadoes you can roll out totally depends on your movement speed. In short, your damage scales with your movement speed, aim to get a 15-20% on your boots if possible.
You wanna expect the most budget to go into your weapon. Esepcially an Axe / Mace because you get extra 10% crits with your passive.
Sprint [Run Like The Wind] will deal damage based off your Main hand weapon, so you need a really high DPS weapon, best if you can throw in STR, Crit Damage, and a socket (for Emerald gems).
Your off hand weapon don’t have to be too godly, about 60% of your main hand DPS is fine so you don’t go wayyyy over your budgets.
When we say we’re building a WhirlWind Barb, it’s ironic when Whirlwind is NOT AT ALL your main damage, not even as close, but that’s the thing, WhirlWind will use the damage on both your hands (alternating Main hand and off hand), so that’s the reason why we don’t have to focus so much on damage for your off hand, but rather look for stats like STR and Crit Damage, and a socket too.
Oh, and don’t forget your 15-20% increased movement speed boots!
Resist all is a must. If you wanna clear all 4 acts in inferno get around 800 resist that should do you fine.
It’s a burn to gain style. You have to be reallllyyyy aggressive to make this build work on your favor.
Reason being, you need to be spending your fury INTO the crowd in order to have a constant flow of Fury coming back in to deal more damages, so if you’re the Sniper kinda guy in the Counter Strike era, or you prefer to use a Ranged class and shoot from behind, this build is definitely not for you.